Sunday 19 July 2020

Lockdown Day 114- Saturday 18 July

So for the first time during lockdown I really have itchy feet to travel. I don't know where I got the travel bug but as far back as I can remember I've always wanted to see the world. I always loved books and movies and music and food from "overseas" and in South Africa in the 60's and 70's that was pretty much everything. "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Oklahoma" , Big Ben and the Statue of Liberty and eating sweet and sour pork with chopsticks.
Growing up our family holidays were always local and I loved holidays. We didn't stay in hotels that often, mostly in chalets but I remember the Champagne Castle Hotel in the Drakensberg. I was five. Our nanny came with us to babysit my sister and I in the evenings and I particularly remember the fiasco of the "Childrens' Dining Room" where all the nannies and kitchen staff just nattered away to each other in Zulu while the kids shouted and fought and threw food. And our parents were enjoying Gins on the verandah or getting dolled up in black-tie for the Saturday evening formal dinner dance.
And on a slightly different note...
I decided to make Burfi ( milky Indian fudge ) which I love and always stop to buy from Komala Vilas in Little India in Singapore whenever I am there. My version was saffron, cardamom and almond flavoured. Yummy! But it wouldn't set hard enough; it had the consistency of caramel toffee. So I invented the utterly delicious "Slum Dog Millionaire's Shortbread". Using "Eet Sum Mor" shortbread and mini "Gingernuts" ( both South African biscuit brands) and chilli infused chocolate. Travelling through food...

No comments:

Moving to a new blog for now..gailandneil2.blogspot.com

  This Travelling Life...the story continues...it seems that after 14 years and over 780 posts this blog has reached full capaci...